Filter By:

Showing 1 to 24 of 300

Sort by:

Vernon Brown (Architects of Remuera)

Vernon Akitt Brown was born in Liverpool on 23 March 1905. He studied architecture at Northern Polytechnic in London and emigrated to Auckland in 1927. He became known for his creosoted “Brown” boxes with white trim.

Read More

Avoca or Ovoca House, Victoria Avenue, Remuera

The house which became Avoca House was built by Reuben Scarborough, probably in the early 1880s, who purchased about 5 acres of land at the bottom of Victoria Avenue.

Read More

Roy Lippincott (Architects of Remuera)

Roy Lippincott came to New Zealand as the result of a competition win in 1921. He went on to make a name for himself in designing public buildings and private homes, until returning to the US in 1939. There are a number of Lippincott-designed houses in Remuera.

Read More

29 Ridings Road, Remuera (Remuera’s Century-Old Homes Project)

In a suburb known for its grand old houses, the modest dwelling at 29 Ridings Road is a rare surviving example of a vernacular cottage that, at over 140 years old, stands as an important tangible reminder of Remuera’s early horticultural, agricultural and residential history

Read More

21 Ridings Road, Remuera (Remuera’s Century-Old Homes Project)

As one of only a small number of surviving mid-to-late nineteenth century dwellings in Remuera, 21 Ridings Road stands as a remnant of the suburb’s early colonial architecture and as an important physical reminder of its early residential development, social history and way of life.

Read More

Glenholm, 37 Portland Road, Remuera

The land upon which Glenholm was built originally formed part of the Ōhinerau block II. First auctioned in the 1850s, the block comprised some of the most valuable land in Remuera.

Read More

The Sisters of St Joseph of Cluny, Victoria Avenue, Remuera

Cluny Kindergarten at 74 Victoria Avenue, Remuera, closed its doors for the final time on 4 December 2020. The convent and kindergarten on a 2,820m² site, in a Single House zone, is now up for sale.

Read More

The History of 37 St Vincent Avenue, Remuera

37 St Vincent Avenue made the news recently when it was sold and plans were revealed for the demolition or removal of the 1920s house to make way for 19 townhouses.

Read More

Linton House, 2 Bassett Road, Remuera

Linton House which stood on the corner of Remuera Road and Bassett Road was a grand house designed by renowned architect Edward Mahoney & Son in the 1890s. But before that was a house known as Loyal Bank

Read More

Arlestone, 151 Orakei Road, Remuera (Remuera’s Century-Old Homes Project)

Arlestone, the grand residence at 151 Orakei Road, has many stories to tell and a close association with individuals from many walks of life.

Read More

David Hay and Son of Montpellier Nursery

David Hay and Son of Montpellier Nursery became Auckland’s pre-eminent nurserymen in the years 1855 to 1933.

Read More

62 Orakei Road, Remuera (Remuera’s Century-Old Homes Project)

Occupying its Orakei Road site for well over 100 years, the two-storey Victorian villa at number 62 has, like many other buildings of its age, an interesting and varied past.

Read More

Kelvin Private Hospital, later Kairahi Guest House, 34 (22) Clonbern Road, Remuera

For much of the twentieth century the large stately house at 34 (22) Clonbern Road was a private hospital and guest-house.

Read More

Mary Jane Milne – Businesswoman, Retailer and Co-founder of Milne and Choyce

Mary Jane Milne was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 16 September 1840. Her family left Ireland in July 1863 and arrived in Auckland, New Zealand, on 26 November 1863.

Read More

Elmstone, 468 Remuera Road, Remuera

Elmstone, 468 Remuera Road, was built for businessman Victor J Larner in 1909-10 to a design by architect B. C. Chilwell.

Read More

Ash Hurst, 93 Benson Road, Remuera (Remuera’s Century-Old Homes Project)

Occupying elevated land and overlooking the Waitemata Harbour, ‘Ash Hurst’ at 93 Benson Road is a grand Spanish Colonial style residence reputedly designed by the preeminent architectural practice of Gummer & Ford.

Read More

Benfieldside, 1 Arney Road, Remuera

This property was owned by the General Trust Board of the (Anglican) Diocese of Auckland (and later the Melanesian Mission Trust Board) until 1983. From the early years of the twentieth century, the property was subdivided and leased.

Read More

Mrs Kate McCosh Clark – Author, Artist, Patron and Society Doyen

Kate McCosh Clark was not only an author, artist, patron of the arts and charities, and doyen of society, she was also an early Remuera land developer and owner.

Read More

From Quarry to Stately House and Garden – 7 Pere Street, Remuera

The Bond family built an imposing house on Remuera Road next to what was called Mt Hobson Domain c1920 and transformed what had been an abandoned quarry site into a striking terraced garden.

Read More

WW1 Joseph Augustus Humphries (8/4145)

Joseph Augustus Humphries enlisted in December 1915 and sailed for Suez on 1 April 1916 with the rank of Private.

Read More

WW1 Frank Larnach Tate (46402)

Frank Larnach Tate was born on 1 December 1886 and enlisted, in April 1917.

Read More

WW1 Kate Evelyn Wright (22/11)

Kate Evelyn Wright enlistment in April 1915 and is remembered on the Remuera Primary School Memorial Gates.

Read More

Memorial Seat on Ōhinerau Mt Hobson

In 1948 members of the Remuera Garden Club began gathering daffodil bulbs for a mass planting on Ōhinerau in memory of the boys from Remuera who their lives in World War I and II.

Read More

The Hellaby Houses

On 20 January 1885, aged 20, Amy Briscoe married 36-year-old Richard Hellaby, a butcher, at St Mark's Church, Remuera, Auckland. Here began the story of the Hellaby family and their homes.

Read More