WW1 Lieutenant Herbert George Richardson

Lieutenant Herbert George Richardson

Herbert Richardson was the son of George James and Margaret Edith Richardson of 1A Norana Avenue, Remuera. He lived in Omahu Rd, Remuera.

He received his education at Auckland Grammar School, was a lieutenant in the school cadets, and a member of the school team that won the Campbell Challenge Vase for shooting in 1907 and 1908. After leaving school, he worked for two years as a law clerk with Percy Spencer, solicitor, before joining his father in the family business Richardson Piano Agency in the A.M.P. Buildings in Victoria St. On August 7, 1912, he received his commission in the Coast Defence detachment of the 3rd, Auckland, Regiment. Lieutenant Richardson left New Zealand with the second reinforcements. At Alexandria the Auckland Battalion embarked for the Greek Island of Lemnos aboard the troopship Lutzow. From Lemnos, the Lutzow transported the Battalion to the landing zone offshore from the Gallipoli Peninsula. Here they were transferred into longboats which were towed inshore by steamboats, then rowed to the beach. Richardson’s unit landed about 11am, joining the Australians in the ‘desperate and confused fighting on the hills and ridgelines above’. Late in the afternoon of the 25th April 1915, he was severely wounded while helping a wounded comrade, and although immediately removed from the firing line by Bugler Charles Chegwidden, he died during the night. He was 23 years old and is buried in the Lone Pine Memorial Cemetery at Anzac, Turkey.

His parents posted the following death notice in the New Zealand Herald on the 5th May 1915 – RICHARDSON.—Killed in action at the Dardanelles. Herbert, George (Bert), dearly beloved only son of George James and Edith Richardson. Omahu Road, Remuera; aged 23 years and, 7 months.

Lieutenant Herbert George Richardson

Auckland business man and M.P Sir George Fowlds wrote to his parents expressing his condolences for “the loss of their brave boy”. (University of Auckland Special Collections Sir George Fowlds Papers).

The Auckland University College magazine The Kiwi for August 1916 recorded the following: Lieutenant Herbert George Richardson Lieutenant H. G. Richardson, only son of Mr. G. J. Richardson, of Omahu Road, Remuera, matriculated at the Grammar School in 1908. He was a fine shot and represented the school in all the shooting teams. In 1908 he was third for the School Challenge Cup, and was a lieutenant in the Cadets. He worked first with Mr. Percy Spencer, solicitor, and later with his father in the Richardson Piano Agency. As a volunteer he gained several shooting prizes in the Victoria Rifles. In the Territorial Forces he received in 1912 a commission in the Coast Defence Detachment. He left New Zealand in command of the Second Auckland Infantry Reinforcements, and took part in the Gallipoli landing on April 25th, 1915. In the afternoon he was wounded in the back and died during the night. Richardson was loved by all who knew him. His genial disposition, his good nature, and his unassuming manners won him friends everywhere, who will mourn the death of a thorough sportsman, a keen soldier, and a devoted citizen.