The Grange Girls Home, 164 Remuera Road
The original The Grange Girls Orphanage was opened in Herne Bay in 1916, by the Auckland Division of the Salvation Army. The Grange was the former home of William and Marianne Smith, gifted to the Salvation Army by Marianne Smith (nee Caughey) in 1916.
Early in 1957 The Grange Girls Home moved to new premises at 164 Remuera Rd, on the corner of Remuera and Bassett Roads. The house was formerly Glenesk, home of John Falconer Ewen, from 1920-1956.
The Grange housed up to 30 girls and was officially closed in 1983.
The opening ceremony of the new site was presided over by the second in charge of the Salvation Army in New Zealand, Colonel Dr A Bramwell and the head of the Salvation Army in New Zealand Lieut Commissioner Robert Harewood spoke.
The Mayor of Auckland, Mr T. W. M. Ashby officially declared the Home open. Sir John Allum, chairman of The Salvation Army’s Advisory Board in Auckland, represented the citizens who had shown a practical interest in the home.
A prayer was given by the Rev. S. Clark and Mrs Lieut Commissioner Isabella Harewood read the scriptures. The girls sang. The matron at the time was Major Maisie Harris.
A financial report was read by the Financial Secretary of The Salvation Army, Brigadier Ernest Coxhead. He mentioned particularly the generosity of Mr John Ewen, Sir David Ewen, Mr Robert Laidlaw and the Government.
MP Mr Ritchie McDonald spoke of his long association with The Grange in Herne Bay. The Auckland Salvation Army Divisional commander Brigader H Lord gave the final prayer.
The band of Auckland Congress Hall provided the music during afternoon tea and a tour of the building ended the afternoon.
It had on opening ten bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, dining room, sitting room, office, laundry, playroom, cloakroom, washroom and sewing room.
The home was described as having a pond with goldfish which was filled in to make a garden and the fish put into fish bowls and taken inside.
Heritage Centre and Archives
Booth College of Mission | The Salvation Army
19 July 2019