There have been several coffee places: Fiesta coffee bar, Manions, Escoffier, Chestnuts, Turners, Benzonis, Kismet and shoe shops or bootmakers: T J Kao, Courtesy Shoe Shop, J Watson-Cumming, David Elman Shoes and Carrano Shoes.
Skelton’s Building 339-345 Remuera Rd was built in 1928 for Robert Skelton, a carrier and coal merchant and one of Remuera’s first businessmen.
One of the shops retains its original frontage with tiles, leaded frieze and oak trim. Skelton’s trucks were located behind the shops at what is now 347 Remuera Road. In the 1950s and 60s Ryland’s Motor Dealers and True History Car Sales were located behind the buildings here.
One of the first tenants was the Bank of New Zealand which opened in 1929 as an agency of the Newmarket Branch and remained until 1948. Remuera Furnishers occupied 343 Remuera Road from 1950 to the 1980s and Ver-nes Designs (Dressmakers) 339 Remuera Road from 1950 to 1975.