Saint Walked The Streets Of Remuera
On 17 October 2010, the Catholic Church recognised Mary MacKillop as a Saint. Although born in Australia in 1842, she stayed in Remuera on 3 occasions.
In 1902, after undergoing treatment in Rotorua for a serious rheumatic condition, Mary MacKillop was brought up to convalesce at the Sisters of St. Joseph convent at 21 Middleton Road (these premises are still standing) where she spent 6 months. Mother Mary walked the streets of Remuera and Newmarket, coming to know the residents and parishioners of the day. Mother Mary was a great educationalist, and she founded the order the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart in Australia in the late 1860s, with the goal of serving the poor, the sick and the disadvantaged, particularly through education. She ultimately arranged for the Sisters of St Joseph to establish their school here, firstly in Middleton Road, and then in Beatrice Road, Remuera.
A shrine has been erected in her honour and is located on the eastern side of St. Michaels Catholic Church, Beatrice Road.